Patient iP is an interconnected health information platform accelerating the provision of data insight needed for transformative research, development and market placement of new therapies.
The Patient iP Connected Site Network offers private-practice physicians the opportunity to align with established investigative research sites in order to link patients with new therapeutic offerings and derive greater revenue for their practices.
The Challenge with Traditional Research Recruitment
Recent study findings published by the Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development revealed that 91% of physicians feel ‘somewhat’ or ‘very’ comfortable discussing the opportunity to participate in a clinical trial with patients, but these same providers only refer less than 0.2% of their patients into trials. Along those same lines, more than 80% of patients say they are willing to participate in clinical research studies, but only around 10% actually do.
These challenges stem from the fact that typically, patients must be receiving care at an investigative research site to be considered for trial enrollment. In reality, only a fraction of care providers – perhaps only one out of every eight – are registered as a 1572 primary investigator. The same holds true for the number of active research sites – a small number when compared with the total number of physician practices. Yet each year there are about one-billion office visits annually in the US, with nearly 100% of those being documented electronically via EMRs.
So couple an artificially limited pool of participants with increasing protocol complexity stemming from the burgeoning science of personalized medicine and it is no wonder that the vast majority of studies struggle to perform against enrollment objectives.
The Aprima Community Health solution
Aprima’s CHC solution includes all the tools your practice needs to address uniform data system (UDS) reporting and tracking requirements, meet FQHC guidelines and bill per Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance requirements.
In addition, sliding fee schedules are easy to create and maintain, and CHC-specific demographic information is captured within the standard user workflow.
Given the complex nature of the CHC model, Aprima’s comprehensive solution incorporates built-in capabilities for:
- Traditional primary care
- Mental and/or behavioral health
- Substance abuse
- Group therapy
- Home visits
- Case management
- The ability to integrate with dental and vision center software
- A patient portal in English and Spanish, for patients with digital access
Aprima’s ability to handle multi-specialty care within a single patient record makes it possible for providers and other clinicians to make updates, resulting in patients’ records being a longitudinal view of their care.
Aprima recognizes that in order to deliver a broad range of care, CHCs require care teams with diverse skills and professional credentials. Aprima offers a variety of purchasing models to accommodate each CHC’s unique blend of clinical staff, including physicians, community health workers, case managers, behavioral health staff and other multi-disciplinary team members, including part-time equivalents. Our approach enables CHCs to implement a solution that is not only powerful, but cost-effective as well.
Shifting the Paradigm
There are currently about 100,000 trials underway in the US, each in need of a very specific patient population. And because each protocol can have anywhere between 10-50 eligibility criterion, site staff often lack the time to complete thorough chart reviews in response to initial feasibility questionnaires. Instead a best guess of how many patients match criteria is provided, setting a potentially unrealistic level of expectations.
Meanwhile, other organizations, both internal and external to a sponsor, rely on a cadre of tools to identify or recruit patients. These include traditional print and radio/TV advertising, referral networks, social media and other forms of outreach that are leveraged partially from pharmacy sales data and/or partially the result of patient self-identification. And while these later approaches may drive some degree of success, they typically fail to reach the consistently underserved research populations of both the elderly and non-Caucasian races.
In order to get more targeted traction with the millions of patients falling outside of the traditional site network and recruitment channels, sponsors are finally stepping outside of the ‘conventional’ approach of “site-based patient identification” and embracing EMR data and modern technology – analytics, natural language processing, risk stratification and more. The outcome? Patient-based site identification, an approach that is truly patient-centric and involves the caregivers that can help support the patient’s decision-making process around participation and affect adherence over the course of the trial.
Patient iP invites interested Aprima customers to join our Connected Site Network so that practice patients can take advantage of appropriate research opportunities, with minimal overhead and burden to the practice itself.
Speed and efficiency at the point of care
Speed and efficiency at the point of care are critical for community health center providers. Regardless of the type of patient visit, our tools drive speed and efficiency.
- NO TEMPLATES! Chart the way you were trained to think and follow the flow of your exam, no matter what direction it may take. No more picking a template before you even know a diagnosis!
- Aprima EHR follows you instead of making you follow it. Chart by chief complaint, procedure, problem or previous visit for fast documentation. Your past notes can carry forward to the current note, so you’re not charting from scratch.
- Adaptive Learning lets Aprima EHR learn your preferences as you work. Aprima auto-learns treatment plans for your common patient complaints, making it easy and fast to document your procedures, order tests and provide recommendations.
- Seamless movement of data speeds transactions and reduces errors. In addition, the Aprima Patient Portal allows your patients to input data and communicate via secure messaging.
- Aprima supports Direct Messaging and the Surescripts® NRLS (National Record Locater Service), is a member of the CommonWell® Health Alliance and has thousands of interfaces in place.
- Population Health is achieved as part of your day-to-day workflow without extra modules required.
- Enter data your way. Use touch screen, point and click, keyboard, handwriting recognition, voice recognition or dictation – choose the input method or combine them all within the same note.
Aprima allows you to chart a patient visit faster than you can with any other system!
Providers tell us we are saving them a MINIMUM of 3 minutes per patient – often much more.
Aprima EHR offers a uniquely powerful and fast solution that is designed to complement and simplify your workflow. Unlike most EHRs that offer poor workflows and laborious screens to complete, our innovative technology adapts automatically to a physician’s workflow and sets the benchmark for ease-of-use, speed and flexibility.